Local Educational Assistance Program Application
**Postmark Deadline – February 28, 2017**
|Introduction to The Educational Assistance Program|
The Chicago Chapter of Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. established the Educational Assistance Program (EAP) to grant $1000.00 merit awards or $1500.00 Dr. Andrew S. Perez awards to high school seniors in honor of the WWII Tuskegee Airmen. Students winning awards exemplify the qualities of the Tuskegee Airmen:
• Vision of their own potential
• Commitment to excellence, perseverance and service
• Thirst for knowledge, personal growth and positive societal change
• Honor and Integrity in actions and behaviors
• Respect for self, others and the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen.
The award acknowledges the hard work, perseverance and success of the 15,000 African Americans who received Aviation training or supported WWII operations based in Tuskegee, Alabama from 1941 – 1948.
|Eligibility and Application Criteria|
The Chicago Chapter of Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. provides awards to qualified high school seniors who plan to attend accredited institution as full-time students the fall of the succeeding school year. The following criteria must be met:
• High school graduation in the spring of the current school year
• Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
• ACT composite of 18 or higher and/or SAT equivalent.
The applicant should verify the completeness of the application package by verifying the items below:
1. Completed application (see the next pages)
2. High school transcript, evidencing a minimum 3.0 grade point average
3. An essay titled “The Tuskegee Airmen”, typed, double-spaced not to exceed one (1) page
4. An essay titled “I Am”, typed, double-spaced not to exceed two (2) pages
5. One letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, coach or other school official on school letterhead
6. One letter of recommendation from a community leader, faith leader or other non-academic (no family members).
7. A copy of parent(s)’ or guardian’s latest IRS Form 1040 (2015 preferable but 2016 acceptable) through adjusted gross income line, or 1040EZ or other OFFICIAL document (W-2/W-4 not acceptable); SSN may be “blacked out”.
The Educational Assistance Committee of the Chicago Chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. congratulates you on your decision to pursue higher education. We look forward to receiving your completed application. It is recommended that you make copies of all documents before mailing to the post office box. Also notify the following individual via email that the application has been mailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.